By Steve Farace
1. Yankees – Mark Teixeira is determined to get off to a good start this year.
2. Tigers – Miguel Cabrera needs to lose some weight!
3. Braves – Jason Heyward is going to hit a homerun in his first at bat EVERY year!
5. Angels – Torii Hunter can still hit.
6. Royals – they are STILL the Royals.
7. Brewers – Their bullpen needs work.
8. Reds – They are still the comeback kids.
9. Padres – Their lineup isn’t all THAT bad. Still bad, though.
10. Cardinals – Their bullpen sucks and Matt Holliday can aggravate his appendix by hitting a homerun.
11. Giants – Tim Lincecum is good.
12. Dodgers – Clayton Kershaw was better.
13. White Sox – They can SCORE.
14. Indians – Ugh.
15. Mets – They won’t win all of their Opening Day games (had won 5 in a row coming in).
16. Marlins – Finally spent money and it paid dividends immediately (John Buck).
17. Red Sox – Lester gets off to another slow start.
18. Rangers – Seem ready to defend their AL Champ title.
19. Astros – Brett Myers is very good. The Astros bullpen is very bad.
20. Phillies – Don’t have the lineup they once did, but are still a big threat with the Big 4 pitchers.
21. Twins – They overpaid Carl Pavano.
22. Blue Jays – Can hit…but can they pitch well enough to contend for the Wild Card? Probably not.
23. Pirates – They are over .500 for the first and possibly last time this year.
24. Cubs – 102 years and counting…103 after this year.
25. Orioles – They can hit if they stay healthy…but the pitching is the question.
26. Rays – Without Price, they are nothing.
27. Diamondbacks – Justin Upton is a beast (and I am a homer for my fantasy team!).
28. Rockies – Ubaldo?? Is that you??
29. Mariners – Are they going to finally give King Felix some run support? Don’t count on it lasting too long.
One thing was a constant for most teams and that was they all seemed to leave their defense in spring training. I guess the defense will come in good time, but for now, it feels so good to have baseball back!